Pages

Monday, March 26, 2018

Sanctuary

Sometimes it takes a while for something to hit you in the face.  Sometimes you see it, it hits you, and you walk on.  And then it hits you again.

And again.

And again.

Then your head spins.

Sanctuary.

I entered church through the back door and up the stairs.  The door was closed to the sanctuary.  And there was the sign:

"Sanctuary."

I've probably been through that door many times but that day I stopped.   Sanctuary.  A place of safety.  A place of security.  A place to be held in the arms of God.  I took a photo.  That's what I do to remember.

Our nephew contacted us about a church he is helping to plant in the Washington, DC area.   A church in the midst of sojourners from every nation.  A place to learn about God's love for all people.  A sanctuary.

Three weeks later I'm in the nail salon having my nails done.  The most unlikely place to have God speak about sanctuary--but there on the tv, no sound--close captioned, was a show about churches across the country giving sanctuary to those seeking shelter in our country.  Over and and over as I watched, the word appeared again and again.   Sanctuary.  I don't know what show it was--I searched once I was home and couldn't find anything about it.  But it touched my heart.  Sanctuary.  God didn't say we are to close our doors but to open them.  God didn't say we are to worry about the sojourners taking our jobs but to help them.  We are to be sanctuary.

And now the song is playing over and over in my head:

Lord, prepare me to be a sanctuary
Pure and holy, tried and true
With thanksgiving, I'll be a living
Sanctuary for You

It is you, Lord
Who came to save
The heart and soul
Of every man
It is you Lord
Who knows my weakness
Who gives me strength,
With thine own hand.

Lord prepare me to be a sanctuary
Pure and Holy, tried and true
With thanksgiving I'll be a living
Sanctuary for you

Lead Me on Lord
From temptation
Purify me
From within
Fill my heart with
You holy spirit
Take away all my sin

Lord prepare me to ba sanctuary
Pure and holy, tried and true
With thanksgiving, I'll be a living
Sanctuary for You

I don't know how or where--but prayer is that God will allow me to be a living Sanctuary for Him.







No comments:

Post a Comment